Welcome to my blog people :)

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Importance of Web Standards and Accessibility

Last week in E-Business we had the blind lecturer Roisin come in and show us exactly how important it is for websites to follow standards in order for it to be accessible for all types of users. 

Roisin showed us how exactly she browses the web using a software programme called "SHARK".  This programme  allowed her to hear exactly what was being said on the web page, given of coarse there is alternative text used on everything.  We asked her to try and book a flight for Germany using the Ryan Air website, which she could easily due in a mere few minutes, thanks to the websites clean code.  It was very hard for us to understand exactly what was being read out due to the fast speed, but she thought it was rather slow, and would usually have it on a higher speed.

As I am in the midst of making my own website, I was sure to abide by all web standards.  I would hate the fact that someone wouldn't be able to easily navigate through my own web site just because I did not follow the standards to make it more accessible. 

After seeing how vital it is for the html code to be clean for not only the visually impaired, but for those with hearing problems as well as people with learning or cognitive problems, I now know I must abide by the following:
  • Provide text alternatives for all visual information 
  • Keep pages clear, concise and scannable 
  • Use meaningful link text
  • Ensure movements on screen can be turned off
  • Provide captioning/text transcript for audio/video
  • Careful use of colour; good colour contrast
  • Stick to web standards
All I have to say is fair play to Roisin, she is truly a role model for all people.  Not only is she suffering from visual impairment, but she is a computers lecturer.  Many people with full use of their eyesight would not be able to do the job she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment